Every homesteader will appreciate these beat the heat ideas for escaping the homestead for a day. So if you are looking for a way to stay cooler and get out of Dodge for a day, this post is for you!
Not all couples and/or homesteaders have kids. Even the ones that do need a break from time to time for some quality adult time. All of the ideas below are frugal, if not free, ways to share some adult time away from the homestead.
Escape to the Local State Park
Your local state park provides so many getaway ideas for couples to escape the summer heat and the stresses of homesteading. No matter what types of activities you enjoy doing together, the state park probably provides an opportunity to take advantage of most of them.
If you prefer water type activities many state parks offer the following options:
- Swimming in the rivers or lakes
- Boat rentals
- White Water Rafting
- Rock Skipping
On land, the state park has even more options. These include:
- Hiking the trails
- Rock Climbing
- Bike Trails
Free Local Getaway Ideas
If your local state park is not an option, do not be discouraged! Other options are available to spend the day or even a few hours away from the homestead.
Pack a lunch, a picnic basket, or a backpack and head out.
Try some of the following suggestions to beat the heat and get away:
- Take a scenic drive in the country
- Take a scenic drive up a mountain road
- Go Geocaching
- Feed the ducks at a local water hole
- Go to the beach
- Hit up all the local yardsales
- Find a free outdoor concert
- Find free days at the zoo
- Find free days at the museum
- Visit an art exhibit
- Volunteer together
- Find a shady spot and make some plans for your homestead or farm to prepare for the future.
Frugal Getaway Ideas
Have a little money to spend? The following ideas are frugal and fun for couples who want to beat the heat:
- Go bowling
- Plat miniature golf
- Taste test at a winery
- Attend local events (fairs and festivals)
- Go to a concert
- Play Laser Tag
- Play paintball
- Go to a “Pick-Your-Own” together
- Go shopping for farm and home ideas
Free and Romantic Getaway Ideas
Maybe chores keep you from being out all day. Maybe you just want to spend a few hours with your significant other somewhere outside the homestead.
These getaway ideas are quick ways to spend some quality time together and still have fun too:
- Take a camera to a scenic spot and just take photos together
- Throw water balloons at each other
- Catch a frisbee
- Lay a blanket in an open area and just cloud watch
- Buy 2 kites and fly them together.
- Wait until dusk and lay on a blanket and watch the sunset
- Have a bonfire
- Do a scavenger hunt where you each hide objects for the other to find
- Go night fishing
- Go star gazing
- Go jump in a lake or a river
Getting away from the farm or homestead is well-needed once in a while. These ideas are great ways to spend some quality time together, and beat the heat of summer at the same time.
What do you do to beat the heat away from your farm or homestead?
Oh, and don’t worry. If you can’t leave the establishment for the day, check out my podcast episode Beat the Heat below, for simple ways to stay cool while on the farm or homestead!