Natural home remedies have been around since the beginning of time. The common natural remedies such as honey for a sore throat and ginger for an upset stomach are common knowledge in many homes.
Many people are learning herb gardening specifically for making their own natural home remedies.
We all have those remedies passed down through the generations. Some of them work and some do not. However, scientific studies have found many of these natural remedies are in fact valid.
In this post, I will share 46 natural home remedies that are backed by science to work for you and your family. Some of these remedies you may already know, but I am willing to bet you will learn some new home remedies too.
Any specific health claims or nutritional claims or information provided on the website are for informational purposes only. Nothing on the website is offered or intended to be a substitute for professional medical, health, or nutritional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. See full Disclosure Statement here.
Natural Home Remedies
Road to Reliance is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post may contain affiliate links. You can read more on our Affiliates Disclosure Page.
Natural Home Remedies For Common Health Issues
Many aches and pains can be lessened and some even eliminated by using natural home remedies. Below are some remedies to relieve pain in your body.
- When your head is hurting from the heat of summer and being outside all day, try drinking a glass of watermelon juice! One glass will usually relieve the pain almost instantly.
- Eating an apple first thing in the morning on an empty stomach has proven to eliminate migraines in patients,
- One drop of garlic juice dropped into the ear can eliminate pain caused by an ear infection.
- If you suffer from chronic pain, turmeric is your answer! Consuming between 1/2 and 1 1/2 teaspoons per day will help ease pain over time. Try turmeric in a latte!
- Combine 1 cup of coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of cayenne pepper in a saucepan on low, then pour into another container to cool. Once cool, use it as a rub for sore muscles.
- Inhaling lavender can reduce headache symptoms. Try a lavender sachet in your pillowcase or put some lavender essential oil in your diffuser.
- Use spearmint and coconut oil made like the cayenne pepper remedy above for joint pain.
- Most health food stores carry a concentrated cream made from comfrey. It is known to reduce back pain.
- Rinsing your mouth with milk of magnesia will reduce pain from canker sores.
- Eating approximately 20 to 25 cherries every day can reduce your chances of gout flare-ups.
- Mixing a few drops of peppermint oil and a few drops of olive oil together and rubbing on your temples and forehead can relieve a tension headache.
- Drinking 2 or 3 cups of green tea can reduce the pain from rheumatoid arthritis.
- Painful, cracked lips can be soothed by rubbing olive oil or coconut oil on them. Keeping some of either oil in a small vial is a good idea so you can take it with you during the winter months.
- Mashed avocado can relieve pain from razor burn.
- Mixing a few drops of olive oil and a few drops of clove oil can relieve sore gums.
Natural home remedies are great cold remedies! Most remedies can be made with ingredients most households have in their kitchens. Any of those natural home remedies are less expensive than cold medicines you normally buy over the counter.
Common Cold, Coughs, Flu Symptoms and Nasal Allergies
- To treat a dry cough, cut open and boil 6 or 7 dates in 2 1/4 cups of water. Reduce heat to low for 25 minutes. Drink this 3 times a day.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of ginger juice and 2 teaspoons of honey to alleviate cold symptoms
- Need some homemade cough syrup? Combine 5 medium onions, chopped, and 4 Tablespoons of honey in a water bath on low for 2 hours. Strain when finished and take 1 teaspoon every 3 hours. It is less expensive than cough syrups in the stores.
- A great home treatment for sore throats is to combine 1/2 cup of warm water, 1/2 teaspoon of table salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of powdered turmeric. Gargle as often as necessary and avoid drinking or eating for 30 minutes to allow the concoction to work.
- Combine 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, or 1 tablespoon dried in a cup of hot water and let steep. Strain and drink. Coughing will subside shortly.
- Try adding a few drops of eucalyptus oil to a pot of boiling water. Turn it off, allow it to cool a few seconds then place a towel over your head, covering the pot, and breathe in the steam. This is great for clearing clogged sinuses and a runny nose.
- Steep 2 teaspoons of fresh horehound in 1 cup of water. Strain and drink to soothe a sore throat.
Many natural home remedies will easily treat and even eliminate digestive problems such as irritable bowel syndrome, acid reflux, and more.
- Chewing on a few basil leaves acts as an antacid after a meal. Sucking on a clove also does the same thing if you can stand the taste.
- Did you know by drinking a glass of water with a slight sliver of garlic in it each morning, you can relieve many digestive and stomach issues?
- A mix of lemon juice and warm water can eliminate waste in your liver. It also cures nausea and indigestion.
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed can regulate your bowels.
- Boil 2 tablespoons of fresh or frozen blackberries in about 1 1/2 cups of water. Let sit for 15 minutes then strain and drink to stop diarrhea.
- To stop burping, chew on some fennel seeds.
- Drink one glass of cranberry juice daily to avoid urinary tract infections.
Are you looking for some great Essential Oils to use in your home? Try Simply Earth!
Go here, and while you’re there if you sign up to receive a monthly subscription box, use the code ANNIELEWELLYNFREE to receive a $40 Gift Card towards any future purchase!
I love the superb quality of their oils and products and use them in my own home!
Even More Natural Home Remedies
- One glass of pomegranate juice is good for your heart and low blood pressure.
- Mixing baking soda and lemon juice into a paste makes a great natural deodorant.
- Drinking lemon water is great for high blood pressure and even helps to eliminate stress and anxiety.
- A banana milkshake with honey will cure a hangover.
- Lavender tea reduces anxiety.
- Fenugreek when made into tea can help with milk production for breastfeeding. It also improves insulin function.
- Use a cotton ball to apply buttermilk to age spots and watch them lighten over time.
- Vitamin C is a natural antihistimine.
- Rubbing petroleum jelly on a blister and covering it with a bandage will help it heal faster.
- Bug bites can be soothed by making a paste with equal parts of oatmeal and warm water and applying it to the bites. Colloidal oatmeal can be found in health stores if you don’t want to make your own.
- Placing a slice of cucumber over your eye reduces inflammation. Replace with new slices every 5 minutes for up to 15 minutes.
- Putting a few drops of lavender oil on the bottoms of your feet and then covering them with socks before you go to bed will eliminate foot odor. This is due to its antibacterial properties.
- Eating a spoonful of sugar can stop the hiccups.
- Putting a piece of duct tape over a wart and replacing it every 6 days will help eliminate it faster.
- Applying honey over a wound will heal it heal faster.
- Adding a cup of sea salt to your bath water can eliminate the itching and irritation of a yeast infection.
- Tea Tree Oil can eliminate acne when placed on the affected area.
Final Thoughts on Natural Home Remedies
The best way to relieve many ailments is with a good home remedy. Stock up your medicine cabinet with essential oils, and other ingredients as mentioned above, and you will have on hand the necessary elements to relieve many health issues.
Other helpful ingredients may include apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, chamomile tea, castor oil, calamine lotion, and corn syrup. With a little bit of “folk medicine” proven by scientific studies, you are well on your way to fix some common health problems.
Do you want to learn even more? Check out my Home Remedy Skill Cards! If you are already a member of the Road to Reliance community, simply go to the Resource page, and download yours today!
If you are not a member, hurry and sign up below so you don’t miss any more opportunities to get FREE stuff to help you on your journey down the Road to Reliance.